Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tortilla Smuggler - Veg Tortilla Soup Recipe

If there is one thing I can't stand it's a bad tortilla. Moving from the Southwest to the Pacific Northwest I have found that while they have pretty decent locally produced corn tortillas up here, good flour tortillas are almost impossible to find. I just can't handle replacing the real thing with rubbery chemical tasting grocery store offerings. 

I had had enough and I snapped so this last week while I was back in Tucson, Arizona (where I started this journey called life) I brought some delicious flatbread discs of awesomeness back with me.  Apparently tortillas, when stored in a carry on suitcase, don't look normal on the xray scanners they put your bags through at an airport.  This will result in the search of your luggage and a lot of confused looks when you tell the airport security that those are just tortillas you are bringing home with you and are not "pancake bombs" or anything dangerous. I am not saying don't try it, since real flour tortillas are sooooo worth it.  Just take my pro tip, get to the airport early for this.

After I finish up the smuggled tortillas, I am finally ready to try my own. Since I don't feel like reinventing the wheel, I am going to use the pioneer woman cooks homemade flour tortillas recipe.  If you are going more dairy free than meat free like me, I have heard that you should definitely go with lard for this recipe. Otherwise don't worry, vegetable shortening can also be used!

And flour tortillas can also be used as an important component of my next recipe, or you can be lazy and just go buy some tortilla chips at the store. I leave that up to you.  Either way lets get started on VEGETABLE TORTILLA SOUP!

I know tortilla soup traditionally includes chicken, but I've been making an all veggie option for awhile now. I HIGHLY recommend this soup. Also I promise to make something other than soup next time, but if it's any consolation this soup is very different from the last one. You'll need:

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Onion, diced
2 Bell Peppers (varying colors), diced
8 oz can Roasted Green Chiles, (I like to get these whole and dice them myself)
32 oz vegetable broth
15 oz can of sweet corn
15 oz can of pinto beans
10 oz can Diced Tomatoes
3 Tablespoons Cornmeal/Masa
2 cups Hot Water

Plus fresh cilantro and an avocado for garnish

Heat 1 Tbsp Olive Oil in a large pot over medium high heat (I am using my trusty dutch oven faux le cruset). Add onion, bell pepper and seasonings and sautee for a couple of minutes.



When the good stuff already in the pan is starting to sweat add the green chilies, tomatoes, sweet corn, beans, stock and Hot Water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.



Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water, pour into the soup mixture and then continue to simmer for 30 more minutes.  Around this point it should be time for a seasoning check. Add salt and more seasonings if needed before turning of the heat and letting the soup rest.

After 15 minutes of anticipation put that deliciousness in a bowl and top with diced avocado, cilantro, and either tortilla chips or strips of your amazing homemade tortillas!














1 comment:

  1. I'm loving this soup thing--all I have here to work with in my kitchen is a hot plate, so soups are my best friends!

    ReplyDelete