Monday, July 16, 2012

Put salsa on EVERYTHING!

I made salsa for a little work shindig lately and it was overwhelmingly well received. The recipe is now highly sought after and I promised to share. Time to resurrect the ol' blog!

I have also started cleaning out my diet and a lot of sauces, dips, spreads, and condiments have been sent packing as I slowly move towards a mostly Paleo diet (still very dairy free). Salsa is a guilt free, dairy-less, flavor packed, and versatile "condiment" that can be used in pretty much every diet. I mean unless you have an allergy to one of the ingredients and even then it's not hopeless since there are so many ways to adapt salsa.

To celebrate my salsa love here is the quick and dirty recipe for traditional salsa.

  • 4 medium to large tomatoes, cubed
  • 1/2 of one small to medium onion, cubed (I like less onion, but if you are an onion fan I don't recommend going over a 1 onion to 3 tomato ratio for flavor balancing reasons)
  • Juice from 1 whole lime (roll this with the palm of your hand a couple of times before you cut into it and it will be even juicier)
  • 2 cloves garlic, quick minced
  • 1 or 2 handfuls of fresh cilantro leaves, quick chopped or whole is fine
  • 3 Tablespoons worth of pickled jalepeno slices, quick chopped
  • Salt, garlic powder, pepper (to taste)

If you have a food processor, toss all these goodies in and pulse puree till you get the consistency you prefer. Or if you are sans this kitchen gadget and short on funds at the moment, just do a better chopping job while preparing all of these ingredients and mix up 'em up. 

I recommend putting the salsa in the fridge for at least 1 hour before eating, although overnight is best. I know it will be hard to resist, but if you let it rest everything blends together and tastes even better.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment